Pages

Saturday 16 May 2020

Polyglot discussion


Listening to a discussion between two polyglots, Steve Kaufmann and Gabriel Silva, it struck me that even though the two are well-versed in acquisition (listen to Steve from 10:00 until 10:40, and Gabriel from 10:40 to 11:10), and even though they promote exposure, they have a tendency - as they themselves admit - to worry, obsess, and try to force their language learning with conscious effort.

In addition, I've some other observations and questions.

First, why this concern with performance? Why this need to live up to others' - and one's own - expectations to speak? Is it that our society cum education system makes us feel as if we're always being tested? Who cares if we are A2, B2, C2 or whatever? Those aren't the ABCs I'm interested in. Personally, if I am able to listen and read, then I'm well-satisfied. I'm happy to understand the language as much as I'm able to any degree. I don't need to please anyone. I don't need to pass anything. My ability to produce a new language will arrive naturally at its own pace. I'm in no hurry.

In the discussion, I heard a lot of worries expressed over leaving languages untouched for long periods of time, and about how to judge when you know a language. How strange. 

This talk about maintaining, reviewing, practicing, and further learning - it leaves me cold too. I'd rather enjoy any language I'd improved in by reading stories. I want to immerse myself in a warm pool; I don't want to engage in a regime, or a challenge that I ought to endure out of a sense of duty. Language isn't about practicing scales. Surely, when your familiarity with a language reaches a certain level, you feel like making it a part of your life. Then you wouldn't need to push yourself to spend the time. Otherwise - why do it in the first place?

And yet, I do understand the difficulty. I too am conditioned to think of languages in terms of levels, performance, assessment, and the like. It's hard to trust that natural exposure is sufficient and to simply go with the flow. It's hard not to take notice of what other people think.


No comments:

Post a Comment